Rhopoint IQ Flex 20
- Designed for the measurement of small and curved surfaces
- DOI / RIQ Meter, (quantify orange peel)
- Hazemeter (reflectance haze)
- Custom adaptors for the measurement of non-flat surfaces
The Rhopoint IQ Flex 20 quantifies surface quality problems such as orange and peel and haze that are invisible to a standard glossmeter and profiles how light is reflected from a surface. Previously only available for measuring flat surfaces, this technology is now available in a new format specifically designed for curved surfaces and small & delicate parts. This incredibly advanced instrument measures: 20° GLOSS • HAZE• REFLECTED IMAGE QUALITY (RIQ) • DISTINCTNESS OF IMAGE (DOI) • RSPEC In practice, these terms mean: Gloss: A measurement proportional to the amount of light reflected from a surface measured at 20° (high gloss) Haze: An optical effect caused by microscopic textures or residue on a surface. RIQ : Used to quantify effects such as orange peel and surface waviness. This new parameter gives higher resolution results compared to Distinctness of Image (DOI) measurement and better mimics human perception of surface texture, especially on high quality finishes such as automotive paint finish.
Compact measuring head enables curved surfaces and small areas to be measured easilyDOI: A measure of how clearly a reflected image will appear in a reflective surface. RSPEC: The peak gloss value over a very narrow angle. Features:
- Interchangeable magnetic adaptors allow reduced measurement spot sizes down to 4mm or 2mm
- Bespoke 3D printed adaptor jigs available for repeatable sample positioning
- Alternative rubber, felt or plastic adaptors can be specified for delicate surfaces
- Non-contact adaptor plates allow the measurement head to be fixed above moving products on line or robotised
- Single button push to measure all parameters for easy identification of non-conformances
- Onboard Statistics (max, min, mean, S.D.) and graphs
- Results batching with user definable names
- Rhopoint Data Widget – Allows results to be instantly transmitted to any PC package such as Excel, Word, SPC programs etc.
- Bluetooth Compatibility – transmit data to any smartphone, tablet or PC
- USB results download to PC without the need to install software
Easy Customisation for Every Application
Measurement of curved surfaces with the IQ Flex 20*
Conventional gloss instruments are suited to large flat areas and test, as curved surfaces cause errors. The small footprint of the IQ FLEX 20 makes it much more effective on curved surfaces than a conventional glossmeter; its compact size and shape also allows access to difficult to reach areas.
- Curved surfaces
*Requires an adaptor
Measurement of small surfaces
The Rhopoint IQ FLEX 20 can be customised with magnetically attached adaptor plates. These can be easily interchanged for different applications.
- Reduced measurement spot sizes (4 & 2mm) for small parts.
Bespoke measuring heads
- Bespoke 3D printed adaptor jigs for repeatable control of curved surfaces.
Convex surface Concave surface Complex curve
An optical effect caused by microscopic or residue on a surface. Visible symptoms: A milky finish is apparent on the surface with loss of reflected contrast. Halos and patterns can be seen reflections of high intensity light sources. Causes: Poor dispersion, raw material incompatibility, additive, vehicle quality, stoving/drying/curing conditions, marks, fine scratches, ageing, oxidisation, poor/surface residue.
Reflective Haze Compensation
The instrument compensates for reflection from within the coating for highly reflective pigments, metallic coatings and speciality pigments, allowing the haze of any painted surface to be measured.
Reflected Image Quality (RIQ)
RIQ is used to quantify effects such as orange peel and surface waviness. This new parameter gives higher resolution results compared to Distinctness of Image (DOI) measurement and better mimics human perception of surface texture, especially on high quality finishes such as automotive. Symptoms of poor RIQ: Orange peel, brush marks, waviness or other structures visible on the surface. Reflected images are distorted. Causes: Application problems, incorrect coating flow, coating too high/low, sag or flow of coating before curing, incorrect particle size/distribution, overspray, improper flash/recoat time, inter coat compatibility, incorrect cure times and cure temperature.
Distictness Of Image (DOI)
A measure of how clearly a reflected image will appear in a reflective surface.
Fast measurement of all parameters.
Full on-board statistics with graphical trend analysis and reporting.
Auto rotating measuring screen for ease of use in all environments
Graphical reporting for quick trend analysis
Displays full statistics for the number of readings in the current batch.
Different types of surface textures produce identifiably shaped reflectance profile. This goniophotometric data can be downloaded to PC for further analysis and comparison via the USB cable or Bluetooth Data Widget.
User definable batch names and batch sizes for quicker and more efficient reporting.
Rapid data transfer Software-free data transfer.
Software-free data transfer. USB connection to PC instantly recognises the device as a drive location which facilitates the quick transfer of files using Windows Explorer or similar.
Direct data input via Bluetooth
Instantly transmit measured readings directly to programs such as MS Excel on your PC / tablet to greatly simplify the reporting process.
2,500+ readings per charge. The instrument is rechargeable via USB/PC or mains.